[R-sig-Geo] The geonames.org server changed / geonames package

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Feb 4 16:15:33 CET 2009

2009/1/23 Tomislav Hengl <T.Hengl at uva.nl>:

> Just to let you know that geonames.org server changed from "ws.geonames.org" to "ws5.geonames.org"
>
> See the info at: http://www.geonames.org/export/
>
> Maybe you should add to your R package "geonames" an option to specify the server name manually,
> e.g.:
>
> setGNserver <- "ws5.geonames.org"

  I think they've changed it back now, but I added the option to
change it using R's options() function:

 > GNtimezone(32,34)
   rawOffset dstOffset gmtOffset lng lat
 1         2         0         2  34  32
 > options(geonamesHost="ws5.geonames.org")
 > GNtimezone(32,34)
   rawOffset dstOffset gmtOffset lng lat
 1         2         0         2  34  32

to prove it did something:

> options(geonamesHost="wtf.huh")
> GNtimezone(32,34)
Error in url(url, open = "r") : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In url(url, open = "r") :
  cannot open: HTTP status was '504 Gateway Time-out'

 It's changed in SVN on r-forge now, that should build a new package
version (0.8) and web page docs overnight.

Barry