[R-sig-Geo] ecw for rgdal package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Dec 21 15:33:22 CET 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009, Alexandre VILLERS wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I was wondering if the reading and creating of ecw files was planned for the
> rgdal library. I suppose it is a bit tricky to include this function because
> of the need for the ECW SDK library from ER mapper...

Correct, we cannot distribute this library from CRAN. If you need this
driver, you have to provide it yourself, on Windows using the instructions
for the alternative build approach in:

file.show(system.file("README.windows", package="rgdal"))

You will have to improvise a little, as - for example - building R
packages from source is easier now than it was in 2007.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no