[R-sig-Geo] How to crop a shapefile ?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Dec 17 20:47:02 CET 2009

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Dan Putler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For this particular problem, Dylan Beaudette is probably exactly right.
> However, I ran into problems using similar tools in OpenJump when we
> wanted to create a shapefile of a region that we could postal address
> geocode against (the way the boundary line segments were clipped was a
> problem for the geocoder), which lead me to write tools in R to do it
> (outlined in my earlier post). That code does not clip lines, rather it
> enable the extraction of the original complete road segments. Since most
> of the ways in OSM don't have the attribute information needed for
> geocoding, the issue I was addressing won't be relevant here.
>
> Besides GRASS (which can be a bit overwhelming at first), and OpenJump
> (mentioned above), the Clip tool within the fTools plug-in for QGIS
> should also work. Given the size of the OSM road network files, a
> machine with a fair amount of memory will probably be needed to handle
> the problem.

It also looks as though the clipping capabilities of ogr2ogr will increase
when GDAL 1.7.0 arrives - the beta is already available:

http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html
http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/gdal-1.7.0b1.tar.gz

In addition, something like this might be a candidate for rgeos (on
R-Forge) but would involve C coding in the GEOS C API.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no