[R-sig-Geo] equations for cross variograms (Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R)

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Wed Dec 9 00:02:45 CET 2009

Tom Gottfried wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> two questions about the equations on page 206 of the ASDAR book:
>
> 1) is it possible, that in the first one, there is "1/2" missing before the expression of the
> expected value? I looked in some books and papers and it's always there.

Yes, it's missing. Luckily it's not missing in the software (I believe!)

> 2) is there any literature that could help me understand the second equation (for non-collocated
> data). Mostly the pseudo-cross semivariance is mentioned for use with non-collocated data and is
> expressed as half the variance of differences such as
>
> gamma_ij(h)=1/2 Var[Z_i(x+h) - Z_j(x)]
>
> Is this the same as what is expressed by the second equation on page 206 of the ASDAR book and thus
> what is calculated by gstat::variogram?

No, you found another mistake in the book. The correct equation for
non-collocated data should be

gamma_ij(h) = 1/2 E(((Z_1(s) - m_1) - (Z_2(s+h) - m_2))^2)

which is equivalent with what you give, when Z_1 and Z_2 have constant
means m_1 and m_2 respectively. Again, this is what the software does.

Thank you, we'll update the Errata pages on www.asdar-book.org.