[R-sig-Geo] Kriging

Jon Olav Skoien j.skoien at geo.uu.nl
Fri Dec 4 11:26:05 CET 2009

Hi Greg,

Variogram modelling is slower with large data sets, but 8-10.000
observations should not be a problem, unless you need the results
extremely fast. On my computer (3 years old) it takes about 4 seconds
with 8.000 random observations, using the variogram function in gstat.
Time increases approximately with the square of the number of observations:

data(meuse)
coordinates(meuse) = ~x+y

samp = 1000
for (i in 1:5) {
  samp = samp*2
  m2 = SpatialPointsDataFrame(spsample(meuse,samp,"random"),data =
data.frame(value = rnorm(samp)))
  tvar = system.time(vario <-variogram(value~1,m2))
  print(paste(samp,tvar[1]))
}

What you could consider when you get to the kriging part, is to limit
the number of neighbours to e.g. 50 (argument nmax). Otherwise you have
to invert a matrix that is e.g. 10.000*10.000, which is slow, and can
also get you close to the memory limit if you are using Windows.

Cheers,
Jon