[R-sig-Geo] combining polygons from shapefiles...

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Dec 2 16:07:58 CET 2009

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Sean O'Riordain wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I've been making good progress in the last few weeks thanks to this
> list, along with Roger and Adrians' books and some great geo-packages.
>
> I'm trying to combine some shapefiles...
>
> library(maptools)
> CA <- readShapePoly('ca.shp')
> LA <- readShapePoly('la.shp')
>
> Now I want to combine these two into a bigger object...
>
> I've searched the books and the internet and I've tried a number of
> things... including...
>
>> class(LA)
> [1] "SpatialPolygonsDataFrame"
> attr(,"package")
> [1] "sp"
>> class(CA)
> [1] "SpatialPolygonsDataFrame"
> attr(,"package")
> [1] "sp"
>>
>>     S1 <- unionSpatialPolygons(CA, LA)
> General Polygon Clipper Library for R (version 1.4-4)
>        Type 'class ? gpc.poly' for help
>
> Error in unionSpatialPolygons(CA, LA) : input lengths differ
>>

>> S1 <- spRbind(CA, LA)
> Error in spRbind(as(obj, "SpatialPolygons"), as(x, "SpatialPolygons")) :
>  non-unique polygon IDs

Correct. Look at row.names(CA) and row.names(LA). Do something of your
choice to disambiguate them and re-assign with spChFIDs() - since you
refer to the ASDAR book, there is an example in chapter 5, sections 5.4 &
5.5, pp. 120-126. You'll also see that your reading of how to use
unionSpatialPolygons() did not agree with that in the function, which is
to dissolve Polygons objects within an existing SpatialPolygons object.

Hope this helps,

Roger