[R-sig-Geo] Rotate SpatialPointsDataFrame and convert to raster

Julian Burgos jmburgos at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 31 13:04:13 CEST 2009

Dear list,

Hopefully this question will not be too basic.  I have a relatively
large dataset (~250000 rows) consisting of lat, long and a data value.
The data has been collected in a regular grid, but the grid is
"tilted".  In other words, along a row the latitude values increase
constantly, and along a column the longitude values do the same.  The
tilt is very slight, but large enough to cause problems when trying to
convert the SpatialPointsDataFrame object holding the data to a
SpatialPixels objects.  My ultimate objective is to convert this data to
a raster file and input it to GRASS.
Any ideas on how to solve this problem?  Is is possible to create raster
images with a "tilted" grid?
Many thanks,

Julian

--

Julian Mariano Burgos
Hafrannsóknastofnunin/Marine Research Institute
Netfang/Email: julian at hafro.is, jmburgos at u.washington.edu