[R-sig-Geo] writeGDAL produce strage value range

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Aug 31 10:56:39 CEST 2009

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, "Häring, Tim (LWF)" wrote:

> Hello List !
>
> With writeGDAL I exported a grid as Erdas Imagine Image:
> writeGDAL(mygrid, fname = "grid6426.img", driver = "HFA",
> type = "Float32")
>
> If I open this Image in ArcGIS all I see is a solid black box with a strange value range from 1.7549e-038 to 3.40282e+038. I can identify the values of single grid-cells and see that the values in my grid were right. But all I see is a black rectangle.
>
> Is this a RGDAL/GDAL problem or is it a ArcGIS problem? Maybe there is
> someone having the same problem - and hopefully with a solution.

ArcGIS typically makes assumptions about symbology that may not be what
you intend. Make sure that it is displayed in classified mode. If need be,
build the statistics first using the appropriate toolbox function. This
also used to be an issue with GTiff. You may also need to use create
options to find the style of file that ArcGIS likes least poorly, review:

http://www.gdal.org/frmt_hfa.html

Roger