[R-sig-Geo] Accuracy and limitations of Raster and Vector maps

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Mon Aug 31 10:12:20 CEST 2009

Mehdi Khan wrote:
> For that specific problem, this is what I ended up doing:
>
> wald <- SpatialPixelsDataFrame(coordinates(wald),
> as.data.frame(wald)[,3,drop = FALSE], tolerance = 0.125)
>
> So what does this mean exactly?  that since it wasn't an exact grid, a
> tolerance was specified to "straighten" curves into a grid structure?
Yes.

If you want to compare the coordinates, safe the result to wald1 (so
that wald is still there), and compare coordinates(wald1) to
coordinates(wald).

If you want to see what went on, type points2grid and you'll see what
the function did.
--
Edzer
> appreciate your help, my experience only goes back 8 weeks or so with this
> program.
>

> Mehdi Khan
>

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Edzer Pebesma <
> edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de> wrote:
>

>> I am not sure if I can follow your reasoning. The function
>> SpatialGridDataFrame tries to form a grid from a set of points. In the
>> earlier example output you sent, it seemed that the set of points you
>> had were not exactly on a grid. Look at the following two examples:
>>

>>> library(sp)
>>> pts1 = data.frame(x = rnorm(10),y = rnorm(10), z = rnorm(10))
>>> gridded(pts1) = ~x+y
>>>
>> suggested tolerance minimum: 0.758031516672908
>> Error in points2grid(points, tolerance, round, fuzz.tol) :
>>  dimension 1 : coordinate intervals are not constant
>>
>>> pts2 = data.frame(expand.grid(x=1:10,y=1:10),z=rnorm(100))
>>> gridded(pts2) = ~x+y

--
Edzer Pebesma
8333081, Fax: +49 251 8339763 http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de/