[R-sig-Geo] Preparing KML files for GoogleMaps/Earth: Why no kmlPoint() in maptools package?

Bjarke Christensen Bjarke.Christensen at sydbank.dk
Fri Aug 28 13:13:33 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:58 AM, rick reeves<reeves at nceas.ucsb.edu> wrote:
> Hello List:
>
> I'm investigating ways to convert Shape Files to KML format...

I wrote and use these functions: http://www.ssbsk.dk/start/kmlfunctions.r

They work well for me, but no guarantees offered of course. They were not
really programmed for public release, so defaults are as I prefer them (for
instance, default placemarks for SpatialPoints are a little square with a
dot in the middle, instead of the ghastly yellow pins that are Google Earth
default).

They rely on the XML package by Duncan Temple Lang, the Windows binary of
which is not available from CRAN (as I recall, Brian Ripley has made a
windows binary available on a website somewhere). MacOS X binaries are on
CRAN, as is the package source.

Bjarke Christensen