[R-sig-Geo] Preparing KML files for GoogleMaps/Earth: Why no kmlPoint() in maptools package?

rick reeves reeves at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 26 20:58:20 CEST 2009

Hello List:

I'm investigating ways to convert Shape Files to KML format, and of
course have
taken note of the kmlLine() and kmlPolygon() routines in the maptools

It is easy to review the code underlying these routines (e.g., >
kmlLine), and to see
how straightforward the coding is. My question is? Why hasn't a similar
for Point shape files (eg, kmlPoint() ) been added to maptools?

As it stands, one has to use rgdal package / writeOGR(), or fwtools/ogr2ogr,
to convert Point shape to KML format. This works, but can present problems
for Mac users who haven't built the rgdal library on their machines.

Or, is there another way?

Rick R

Rick Reeves
Scientific Programmer/Analyst and Data Manager
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
UC Santa Barbara
805 892 2533