[R-sig-Geo] GDAL Error - .grd not recognised as a supported file

Darren Norris doon75 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 24 16:29:01 CEST 2009

Hi all,
I'm trying to work with the "ETOPO1 Global Relief Model", downloaded
from http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/global/global.html .
I chose the netCDF format option, which from the readme should be most
appropriate for GDAL users.
Snip from discussions - http://n2.nabble.com/flip-raster-td1886005.html
"
I've posted new versions of ETOPO1 that GDAL can read properly (north is
north) on the ETOPO1 web page
(http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/global/global.html), along with an
explanatory readme file (in each netcdf folder). I've also created and
posted geotiff versions of ETOPO1. Please let me know if any more
problems are encountered.
Thanks,
Barry Eakins
barry.eakins at noaa.gov
ETOPO1 1 Arc-Minute Global Relief Model
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/global/global.html
"
However it looks like rgdal can't read the file. Or am I doing something
wrong?
Can anyone suggest the simplest way to get this data into R (I'm
avoiding the geotif due to bad internet and possible memory limitations
on my PC)?
Many thanks,
Darren

input_file<-c("C:/Users/Darren/Documents/ecology and
conservation/SP/data_gis/RASTEr/ETOPO1_Ice_g_gdal.grd")
file.exists(input_file)
[1] TRUE

library(gdal)
readGDAL(input_file)

Error in .local(.Object, ...) :
        GDAL Error 4: `C:/Users/Darren/Documents/ecology and
conservation/SP/data_gis/RASTEr/ETOPO1_Ice_g_gdal.grd' not recognised as
a supported file format.

R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
Kingdom.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
Kingdom.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] rgdal_0.6-8 sp_0.9-36

[1] grid_2.9.0      lattice_0.17-22 tools_2.9.0