[R-sig-Geo] Bi- or Tri-variate maps for R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Aug 12 11:11:05 CEST 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Hisaji ONO wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Does anyone know any examples of Bi- or Tri-variate maps
> for R like this ArcVie example?
>

> http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/proc99/proceed/papers/pap171/p171.htm

Hi,

If you are thinking of micromaps, I'm not aware of any code, but for
conditioned choropleth (CC) maps, I have some code, which is not yet
polished enough for release, but does work. The references are:

Carr D, Wallin J, Carr D (2000) Two new templates for epidemiology
applications: linked micromap plots and conditioned choropleth maps.
Statistics in Medicine 19(17-18):2521–2538

Carr D, White D, MacEachren A (2005) Conditioned choropleth maps and
hypothesis generation. Annals of the Association of American Geographers
95(1):32–53

with a good example in:

Friendly M (2007) A.-M. Guerry’s Moral Statistics of France: challenges
for multivariable spatial analysis. Statistical Science 22(3):368–399

Please let me know if you'd like a copy of my function.

Best wishes,

Roger