[R-sig-Geo] image classification in R

Corey Sparks corey.sparks at UTSA.EDU
Fri Apr 17 16:57:23 CEST 2009

Dear list,
I want to do some unsupervised image classification of some landsat
imagery, I think I can read in the multi-band rasters using rgdal, but
has anyone tried doing this in R?  I am thinking (after looking at
documentation for how GRASS and ArcGIS do it) that I need to do an
initial hierarchical clustering to define clusters, but does anyone
have an idea on how to do a maximum likelihood classification of the
imagery?  Would a discriminant function approach work?  Any advice
anyone may have would be greatly appreciated, and i'm very sorry but I
don't have a working example yet.
Best

Corey

Corey Sparks
Assistant Professor
Department of Demography and Organization Studies
University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249
210 458 6858