[R-sig-Geo] R/Grass Interface

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Apr 14 08:31:25 CEST 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, milton ruser wrote:

> Nicholas,
>
> I have the same problem, and change to R 2.9.0 and the things works fine
> under windows Vista. But the preparing my command to send to system("...")
> we need to include the .exe on the command. According to Roger Bivand, this
> issue will be solve on next versions.
>
> Try install R 2.9.0 alpha, and good luck.

2.9.0 is due later this week, so I'd wait for the official release. The R
version isn't the problem - the problem is that (your choice of) Windows
Native GRASS 6.3, 6.4, GRASS on Cygwin, QGIS (any version) vary in how
they name executable commands. In principle QGIS runs through msys, so
sets a Windows environment variable to say so, but things may vary from
version to version of GRASS through QGIS.

The forthcoming spgrass_0.6-* release tries to centralise the reading of
the auspices wrt. which Windows version is running, and provides an
execGRASS() function wrapping a doGRASS() function building a command line
for system(), and based on parseGRASS(), which reads the GRASS command
interface description. Unix (GNU Linux/OSX/etc) users have access to the
source by anonymous CVS on sourceforge on the r-spatial project; a draft
Windows release is at:

http://spatial.nhh.no/R/Devel/spgrass6_0.6-3.zip

Nicholas - could you please try the draft and see if it helps?

Best wishes,

Roger