[R-sig-Geo] suggestion for projection

Kamran Safi ksafi at orn.mpg.de
Tue Apr 7 17:32:22 CEST 2009

Dear list,

I am in search of a good projection with which I could run habitat
utilization models on a continental scale. The projection I am looking
for should preserve distances between points as good as possible and the
map units should be meters. I think from what I have explored so far
from the implementations of movement in habitat use models, preserving
distance is the most important factor. Most solutions I found ready made
were fine if you are working on a small scale of a few hectares or even
a couple of square kilometers. The projection I am looking for should
optimize "truth" in distances and be in meters (at least for the time
being) for almost all of North-America and large stretches of
South-America. I am aware that there is no single real solution out
there for this large area, but there should be some projections with a
minimal amount of error given the extent (so to speak an optimum). I
quite often used spTransform, but never dealt with other things than
longlat into moll or aitoff sometimes in utm and vice versa. I have no
experience whatsoever with map units (and wouldn't know how to set or
change them), as this wasn't an issue up to now, and only scratched the
surface of oblique projections (sorry I am a biololgist in the first
place trying to avoid making all too many mistakes in geography). I
appreciate some expert opinion on this.

The bbox (in longlat) of the area for which I am looking for a good
projection is:
 min   max
x1 -127.2 -46.8
x2  -19.7  48.6