[R-sig-Geo] how to handle large datafile in R?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Apr 7 09:12:42 CEST 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Anwesha Chakrabarti wrote:

> hi all,
> i want to read a .netcdf file in R. the file contains one variable that has
> three dimensions lon, lat and time.
> and the data consists of a 192x94 matrix of the variable. whenever i'm
> trying to open the file i'm getting the following error msg
> "can not allocate vector of size 1.2gb"!
> so i guess i have to open the data in short slices.
> could anyone tell me how can i do this?

They cannot. In order to get any help, it is essential that you paste a
copy of your code into your message - including the error message(s),
followed by the output of traceback() and sessionInfo() in that order.
We don't even know which function in which package you are using, and
whether you are using it correctly. As far as I know, no-one on the list
can see over your shoulder ...

Roger