[R-sig-Geo] I NEED Help with this spatial polygon problems (REALLY) Thanks really thanks

gianni lavaredo gianni.lavaredo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 12:21:07 CEST 2009

Thanks Dott. Milton and Thanks Prof. Bivand,

Dear Prof. Bivand thanks for your attention and sorry for my not experience,
every day I learn a little step in the huge R world. I am using "PBSmapping"
because in this package there are some useful function for my study (Area,
Perimeter, etc, etc). I have my first question: Is there another package to
calculate this metrics?

I import my polygon shape-file with readOGR

> summary(singleGap)
Object of class SpatialPolygonsDataFrame
Coordinates:
         min       max
r1  268136.9  268881.3
r2 4147539.6 4147794.8
Is projected: TRUE
proj4string :
[+init=epsg:26911 +proj=utm +zone=11 +ellps=GRS80 +datum=NAD83 +units=m
+no_defs +towgs84=0,0,0]
Data attributes:
   Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
      0       0       0       0       0       0

singlegap is a "SpatialPolygonsDataFrame". I had read that to apply
PBSmapping I need to Convert the SpatialPolygonDataFrame into a PolySet
object for compatibility. I use this code

singleGapPBS <- SpatialPolygons2PolySet(singleGap)
now  "singleGapPBS" is a PolySet and I can apply my function:

singleGap.area <- calcArea(singleGapPBS)

str(singleGap.area)
Classes ‘PolyData’ and 'data.frame':    839 obs. of  3 variables:
 $ PID : int  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
 $ SID : int  1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 ...
 $ area: num  1 4 1 1 1 1 2 48 3 9 ...
Now "singleGap.area" is a ‘"PolyData" and "data.frame". Every polygon under
5 m2 is a error and I need to eliminate.

singleGap.area <- singleGap.area[singleGap.area$area >= 5,]
> str(singleGap.area)
Classes ‘PolyData’ and 'data.frame':    179 obs. of  3 variables:
 $ PID : int  8 10 17 21 30 33 36 40 48 49 ...
 $ SID : int  1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 ...
 $ area: num  48 9 13 8 36 ...
here I am trying a method to convert this in an " as.PolySet" and write a
new Polygon shapefile. but this a my day limit. Sorry

Gianni