[R-sig-Geo] lat/lon to timezone

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Sep 25 18:24:45 CEST 2008

I found a shapefile for a timezone map at http://openmap.bbn.com/data/shape/timezone/, you can load this in using maptools and related packages, then use any of the tools to find out which polygon your lat/long pair is in (doesn't work in the oceans, etc.) and look at its timezone data.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center