[R-sig-Geo] from ArcGIS GRID to .ASC

Alexander Brenning brenning at uwaterloo.ca
Sat Sep 20 03:12:09 CEST 2008

Hi,

an alternative to using GDAL for writing ASCII grids is the
write.ascii.grid function in the RSAGA package. (RSAGA is an interface
to SAGA GIS, but this function actually doesn't require SAGA to be
installed on your computer.)

write.ascii.grid(data, file, header = NULL, write.header = TRUE,
     digits, dec = ".", georef = "corner")

The 'data' argument is a matrix, and the 'header' is a list with named
components as in the ASCII grid header, see RSAGA help. Defining your
own header is pretty simple.

I hope this helps
  Alex