[R-sig-Geo] ArcGIS Geostatistical Analyst -- how does itdisplay / fit variograms?

Christopher Paciorek paciorek at hsph.harvard.edu
Sat Sep 6 20:43:51 CEST 2008

 This is a bit of a distant memory from a few years back when I also was trying to better understand what ArcGIS was actually doing, but I believe there is some, though probably not a large amount of, additional technical detail available in the following ESRI manuals:

Johnston, K. et al. 2001. Using ArcGIS geostatistical analyst. Redlands, CA: Environmental Systems Research Institute.
McCoy, J. et al. 2001. Using ArcGIS spatial analyst. Redlands, CA: Environmental Systems Research Institute.

I don't think I was able to find these online as I have a memory of tracking them down through the university map library.

-chris

Chris Paciorek / Asst. Professor        Email: paciorek at hsph.harvard.edu
Department of Biostatistics             Voice: 617-432-4912
Harvard School of Public Health         Fax:   617-432-5619
655 Huntington Av., Bldg. 2-407         WWW: www.biostat.harvard.edu/~paciorek
Boston, MA 02115 USA                    Permanent forward: paciorek at alumni.cmu.edu

>>> "G. Allegri" <giohappy at gmail.com> 09/06/08 1:45 PM >>>
I faced the problem of collecting informations about ArcGIS Geospatial
extension while I was following the geostatics course at university. A
month looking for documentation about what was behind the scene, but
nothing... Just basics explanations about kriging. That's when I've
discovered gstat!

In the Institute I come from ArcGIS/ArcInfo is the most widely used
system, for cartography and geoDB management. But nobody would use it
for geostatistical analysis! Ok, IDW, or other simple interpolations,
but nothing beyond this.
The only reason I would spend money for commercial software can be
Geovariances software (in the Institute they use Isatis) [1], nothing
else.

Giovanni

[1] http://www.geovariances.com/