[R-sig-Geo] merge sliver polygons

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Sep 5 19:51:52 CEST 2008

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Murray Richardson wrote:

> Hi Roger
>
> I'm just getting around to trying this out.
> I must say, I'm not clear on how to work with the neighbour list object to
> accomplish this.  Specifically, how would I identify the largest neighbours
> of the sliver candidates?
>
> Furthermore, do I first subset the polygons according to the area threshold,
> and then construct the neighbour list for only these candidate slivers?  I'm
> not clear on how to identify neighbours for a subset of polygons.

My idea (IIRC!) was to look at a distribution of the areas of the Polygon
objects in the dataset. A good deal will depend on whether the slivers are
represented as separate Polygons objects (note the _s_), or whether they
are Polygon objects belonging to Polygons objects. So nimbleness will be
needed!

library(maptools)
xx <- readShapeSpatial(system.file("shapes/sids.shp", package="maptools")[1],
       IDvar="FIPSNO", proj4string=CRS("+proj=longlat +ellps=clrk66"))
pls <- slot(xx, "polygons")
AREAS <- sapply(pls, function(x) sapply(slot(x, "Polygons"), function(y)
       slot(y, "area")))
summary(sapply(AREAS, length))
summary(unlist(AREAS))

is not a very good example, because the "areas" are planar in non-planar
coordinates, but I hope you see the point. If you have a clear break in
the distribution, you can find out which they are, and where they are. If
all the Polygons objects (the ones in the "polygons" slot of your
SpatialPolygons object, pls) are singletons, things get much easier,
because the merging will be between Polygons objects, provided directly in
maptools.

This should be a start - once you have singleton Polygons objects with
areas as attributes, we can continue.

Hope this helps,

Roger

> Sorry to bother you with this again.  It will be very useful if it works as I
> would also like to use it for region merging based on other attributes.
>
> Still waiting on that book...!

PS. Edzer, Virgilio and I did see the only copy in Europe in Dortmund at
useR! three weeks ago. It turns out that it was printed in the US, and is
at or awaited at the publisher's warehouse for dispatch. Things seem to
take time in the "real" world!