[R-sig-Geo] vgm with a Cauchy function

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu Sep 4 17:23:35 CEST 2008

Francois JOUVIE wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I again send this below request to the List, because I do not receive
> an answer to it, since July 8th.
> Perhaps anyone can help me ?
> Thanks you.
>

> My question:
>
>   I'm exploring the possibilities of the gstat package in the
> R_Library context, to make variograms and kriging in a problem of
> electromagnetic field.
>
>   This is my question:
>
>   To fit my points_variograms, the  vgm routine displays a closed set
> of default functions ("Sph", "Gau", "Bes", etc.).
>
>   I'd like try a different fitting model (a Cauchy function
> precisely). Do anyone knows if it is possible (and how to do it) to
> use an owner_defined function to fit a
>   particular variogram ?

There's two ways to do that.
1. you can pass an arbitrary function by computing its values and
passing it as a table, an example is found in ?vgm:
     vv=vgm(model = "Tab",  covtable =
             variogramLine(vgm(1, "Sph", 1), 1, n=1e4, min = 0,
covariance = TRUE))
2. you can edit the underlying C source code; if you can express the
variogram function in terms of a C (or R) function, this is not as hard
as it seems -- the code has been set up for easy addition of models.

You can also start working with packages that already provide this.
> Thanks you very much.
>
> (I'm new on this list and I don't know how to get the archived past
> questions and answers)

Just click on the link below any list message, and it will bring you
there. Google searching with r-sig-geo as one of the key words should
work as well.
--
Edzer