[R-sig-Geo] Utm to latlong conversion (Datum problem)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Sep 2 21:05:13 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, milton ruser wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I know that it is a knew issue, but I have some troubles
> on the conversion of UTM to Latlong of my shape file.
> In fact, it apears to work but my input file is on South America Datum
> (SAD69),
> but I can´t find the how to indicate the datum. I tryed to include
> "+datum=SAD69"
> on the proj4string, but I received the following error: "unknown elliptical
> parameter name"

It seems that SAD69 is s general description, and you will probably need
to dig deeper to find the correct +towgs84= values for your data. Add your
chosen +towgs84= to the CRS for your input data. There are possibly useful
links in this thread:

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2006-December/014064.html

or here:

http://osdir.com/ml/gis.proj-4.devel/2006-07/msg00012.html

Try googling SAD69 and towgs84 for lots of different values!

Good luck, don't use the results for navigation without checking, please!

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no