[R-sig-Geo] Extracting data/value

Alexander Brenning brenning at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Oct 31 15:02:48 CET 2008

Hi Mikael,

you can use some of the functions in the RSAGA package to extract values
from a file (grid/shapefile) or data.frame and attach them to a
data.frame with point locations.

If I may assume that 'indata' is an grid, try any of

   pick.from.ascii.grid
   pick.from.saga.grid
   rsaga.add.grid.values.to.points

(Only the latter actually uses SAGA itself, the former are independent
of SAGA. The pick.* functions work on data.frames, the rsaga.* on files.)

I 'indata' is a shapefile, try

   pick.from.shapefile

And if 'indata' is another data.frame, try

   pick.from.points

If you choose method="krige" in the pick.* functions, this is just a
quick-and-dirty ordinary kriging that should work without problems on
dense point data; it would be fun to plug a more intelligent automatic
interpolation procedure into these functions...

I hope this helps...
   Alex