[R-sig-Geo] Spatial Clustering in R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Oct 28 21:45:46 CET 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Jim Bouldin wrote:

> I'm wondering whether any R package has the ability to perform spatial
> clustering, i.e. the spatial partitioning of a data set into relatively
> homogeneous polygons, based on one or more attributes of the items (similar
> to what the program eCognition does).  Perhaps there is a more
> statistically correct term for what I have just described, but I don't know
> it.  Thanks.

You may like to look at the implementation of SKATER included in spdep
thanks to Renato M. Assuncao and Elias T. Krainski, see ?skater. The
underlying reference is:

      Assuncao, R. M, Neves, M. C., Camara, G. and Freitas, C. da C.
      (2006). Efficient regionalization techniques for socio-economic
      geographical units using minimum spanning trees. International
      Journal of Geographical Information Science Vol. 20, No. 7, August
      2006, 797-811

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no