[R-sig-Geo] processing GPS track data?

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 01:45:56 CEST 2008

On Thursday 23 October 2008 04:28:59 pm Malin Pinsky wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a set of GPS track data (in .gpx format now) that I need to
> process, and I'm hoping to use R to do it. I've been using R for a
> number of years now, but this is my first time wading into spatial
> data.

You should be able to accomplish these things with minimal effort using other
applications:

gpsbabel - Dump tracks, convert to common formats
GRASS - generalize tracks with v.generalize, check for overlap
R - use the 'sp' package to randomly sample the line networks, output sample
points and import into GRASS to cut up the tracks
PostGIS - good for doing non-topological operations on your data

So-- with the above suite of applications you should be able to do just about
anything with that GPS data!

Good luck,
Dylan

--