[R-sig-Geo] Problems with obtaining a copy of your ASDAR-book

Tomislav Hengl T.Hengl at uva.nl
Wed Oct 22 12:20:34 CEST 2008

Dear Roger, Edzer and Virgilio,

Somehow, I was not lucky enough to receive a copy of your ASDAR book (I only had a chance to browse
it yesterday at Edzer's place). First, I followed the R course Edzer gave at GEOENV2008, and our
copy did not arrive on time (the organizers made a wrong shipment order; then, they had to send it
back after the conference). Second, I just order your book 10 days ago, and it is already out of
print.

I would like to congratulate you on this excellent book. It helps me systematically adjust many of
my data analysis strategies and get a quick review of what and how things should be done (and what
should we think about in the near future). The accompanying website is also excellent.

The fact that the book has been sold-out so quickly proves my evaluation (I sincerely hope that
Springer did not print only a small number of copies?!).

An on-line version of each chapter is available at:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-0-387-78170-9

Unfortunately, it is not a part of standard package that my University buys from Springer, hence I
would need to pay 25 USD per chapter (I would rather buy a complete copy for 45 EUR).

Hopefully Springer will push this issue and order new prints very soon, so that your book gets in
the hands of its biggest fans. (otherwise, you might also want to check some open access publishers
in the near future: e.g. http://publications.copernicus.org/).

all the best,

Tom Hengl
http://spatial-analyst.net