[R-sig-Geo] spsample and small sample size

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Mon Oct 20 11:38:28 CEST 2008

Dear listers,

I met a trouble with spsample which has been solved by Roger Bivand off
list. I though it was general enough to be of interest for other users.
In brief I needed to get 50 random points on a SpatialLinesDataFrame
called "hydntline" and got:

spsample(hydntline,50,type="random")
Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
unable to find an inherited method for function "coordinates", for
signature "numeric"

Roger's response is the following:

The reason is that some lines are assigned no sample points, and the
function tries to create a SpatialPoints object with no points. The
workaround is to increase n, then reduce the output by sampling back down.

z <- spsample(hydntline,4000,type="random")
zz <- z[sample(nrow(coordinates(z)), 50)]
plot(hydntline, axes=TRUE)
points(zz, pch=3)