[R-sig-Geo] staying up to date with r-spatial packages

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Oct 19 13:20:36 CEST 2008

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008, Sebastian P. Luque wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it a good idea to have the r-spatial repository added to the 'repos'
> option?  e.g.:
>
> ---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
>    options(repos=c(CRAN="http://probability.ca/cran/",
>              Spatial="http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/R"))
> }
> ---<---------------cut here---------------end---------------->---
>
> My only concern is that some packages would eventually make it into
> CRAN, but I don't know what would happen to the r-spatial version in
> that case.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Definitely not, and we should probably take down that infrastructure.
Since mid 2006, nothing has been released there and not on CRAN, so the
contents are now very out of date.

While sp was changing rapidly, it made sense to limit consequences for
packages depending on sp to that repository, but with the incorporation of
most content into rgdal and maptools, this isn't needed any more.

Bleeding edge things can be handled if needed by checking revised source
packages out from CVS - this occasionally happens with rgdal (different
sourceforge project). The infrastructure on R-Forge is arguably better for
R projects; for example, I've moved the spdep source repository from
sourceforge CVS to R-Forge SVN.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no