[R-sig-Geo] problem to convert gshhs to shapefile with R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Oct 16 20:55:02 CEST 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Yvan Le Bras wrote:

> Good afternoon. Excuse I for getting bored. I need to work with
> shapefile and I thank that was easy to convert gshhs to shapefile but
> since 2 weeks I tried without any success. Can you help me? I'd success
> to import gshhs file with importGSHHS from PBSmapping and Rgshhs from
> maptools but I don't succeed to convert gshhs to a shapefile. The
> problem seems to be that my gshhs object is a List object with Rgshhs,

... so it would make sense to read the documentation (and/or the code) of
Rgshhs(). There you find that the function returns a list, with a
component called SP. Look in the examples to see exactly how this works.
All the other components are intermediate objects possibly needed for
debugging the running of the function, which is vulerable to changes in
versions of GSHHS.

The output objects are either SpatialPolygons or SpatialLines objects,
which need to be complemented with a data frame with at least one
variable, and with row.names identical to the Lines or Polygons objects'
ID slots, to make Spatial*DataFrame objects, which can then be exported as
shapefiles.

It is always a good idea not to "think" too much, but rather to read the
documentation and in particular study the examples provided.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no