[R-sig-Geo] map2SpatialPolygons' 'proj4string' in spmaps

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 18:49:06 CEST 2008

Hi,

I don't understand what the 'proj4string' argument in
map2SpatialPolygons() does.  map() in the maps package has a
'projection' argument:

,-----[ *help[R](map)* ]
| projection: character string that names a map projection to use. See
|           'mapproject' (in the 'mapproj' library). The default is to
|           use a rectangular projection with the aspect ratio chosen so
|           that longitude and latitude scales are equivalent at the
|           center of the picture.
`-----

so I don't know what projection was actually used in a given map() call
with that default 'projection' argument.  I suppose 'proj4string' in
map2SpatialPolygons() should match the actual projection used in the
map() call, shouldn't it?  Thanks.

Cheers,

--
Seb