[R-sig-Geo] Shared polygon border

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Oct 14 21:56:43 CEST 2008

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Jonathan Boyd Thayn wrote:

> I appreciate the "simple" explanation, which does make since.  I am
> still unable, however, to access the "coords" matrices inside of the
> SpatialPolyons object.  I'm sure that there is a simple way to do
> this, but I can't figure it out.  If I open a shapefile using
> readOGR() what code to I use to access the node coordinates?  Thanks
> again for your help.

For example:

library(rgdal)
scot_BNG <- readOGR(system.file("vectors", package = "rgdal")[1],
   "scot_BNG")
length(slot(scot_BNG, "polygons"))
sapply(slot(scot_BNG, "polygons"), function(x) length(slot(x,
   "Polygons")))

slot(slot(slot(scot_BNG, "polygons")[[1]], "Polygons")[[1]], "coords")

retrieves the coordinate ring of the first Polygon object in the first
Polygons object in the SpatialPolygons object scot_BNG. So:

res <- lapply(slot(scot_BNG, "polygons"), function(x) lapply(slot(x,
   "Polygons"), function(y) slot(y, "coords")))

gets all of the coordinates into a list of lists of matrices. However, it
doesn't tell you which are nodes in an arc-node topology (points at which
three or more polygon entities (including the external polygon) meet.
Getting the coordinate rings doesn't give you the nodes - for that you
have to build the topology, which is hard computational geometry best done
in a GIS like GRASS or ArcGIS.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no