[R-sig-Geo] PostGIS and sp integration

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Oct 9 16:51:21 CEST 2008

2008/10/9 Edzer Pebesma <edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de>:

> Why is this better practice than having a single 100x61 table with monthly
> rainfall in the usual columns and a geometry column?

 Because when I get another year's data, I have to change the table
definition. SQL doesn't like that[1]. Keep your original data
normalised, that's the idea. Of course you can denormalise for a
specific purpose, such as....

> Sounds as if you've not seen the spplot light. If you had a single table
> with 60 columns and 100 rows, all that's needed would be
>
> rain = readOGR("bla")
> spplot(rain)
>
> given that the rain columns would be useful and fit in the conditioning plot
> text boxes (so-called "strips")

 I'll give that a go. However, I need to get my 60 plots into 60 png
files for animation purposes. Can spplot do that? I was just going to
draw them into png() devices.

 Originally I had weekly data...

Barry