[R-sig-Geo] [Gstat-info] LOCAL universal kriging with GLOBAL reg. coeff.estimation

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Mon Oct 6 19:57:10 CEST 2008

Dave Depew wrote:
> A late follow up question to this thread....
>
> What if the local neighbor hood was restricted to the range of
> autocorrelation? My impression was that values beyond that have little
> weight in the interpolation anyways.
Often, yes. Three exceptions are (i) when the nugget forms a large part
of the sill, or (ii) when you use a Gaussian variogram, or (iii) when
you use a trend function.
> I realize that this is of course not statistically optimal, but for
> those with large data sets (and lacking the computing power) would
> this not give a reasonable approximation?
If the nugget is small, and you have say 500+ observations within the
range, restricting it to a much smaller number may still be near-optimal.
--
Edzer