[R-sig-Geo] R GRASS bindings Mac OS

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Nov 24 18:54:26 CET 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Ken Nussear wrote:

> you can find rgdal here
>
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/wiki/doku.php?id=software:frameworks
>
> Once that is installed you should be able to use spgrass6 without problems.
> I've been using it on my mac for quite some time.

Right. This is almost certyainly the easiest way, but may constrain your R
version anmd rgdal version to the latest one built.

Other details are given on the Rgeo website:

http://www.sal.uiuc.edu/tools/tools-sum/rgeo/rgeo-detail/map-packages-on-cran

This is about to be moved to a new location, but will continue to be
reached through http://www.r-project.org/Rgeo. If others would like to add
their experience to the spatial themes in the R wiki, that would be great.
Friendly suggestions to Simon Urbanek to try to get rgdal built for OSX
would also be welcome - I don't have day-to-day access to an OSX system
that I can hack on (i.e. mess up GDAL), so working out how to do this is
rather for someone who does, and who could feed Simon with proj4 and GDAL
binaries for target binary platforms. Here Windows is easier to handle,
because only 32-bit Windows on Intel needs to be accommodated, and
operating system version is not a problem.

Roger