[R-sig-Geo] R GRASS bindings Mac OSX

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Mon Nov 24 04:28:49 CET 2008

Well, it's easy to find the rgdal package, it's on CRAN. However, as
noted there, rgdal is not available from CRAN in binary form for OS
X, so you have to build it from source. In order to do that you first
need to install gdal and proj. CRAN is pretty clear on these
dependencies. It even says where to get gdal and proj from. (I
recently installed these for R 2.8.0 on 10.5.5, and it was very
straightforward)

spgrass6 I can't help you with, other than to note that according to
CRAN, its only dependency is rgdal, so it should go easily once you
have rgdal. But I haven't done so myself.

If you need to learn how to build packages from source on OS X, and
they are packages that have C source code (as these do) then you'll
need to visit the R for Mac OS X FAQ, also reachable through CRAN.

-Don