[R-sig-Geo] upload waypoint data to Garmin GPS

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Mon Nov 17 17:57:36 CET 2008

James Nylen a écrit :
> The easiest thing to do is probably to write the data.frame to a
> tab-delimited text file using write.table and then read in the written
> file like you have done above.  See ?write.table - as I recall there
> are plenty of options that will allow you to specify the separator,
> whether or not to write headings, etc.
>
> -James
This is exactly what I did yesterday (see script below - the function
uploadEtrex is now at the working stage in a package pgirbirc at
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/giraudoux/ or
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/giraudoux/#pgirbric)

However when I think about it, my question was a bit silly: it was
something as how to send a r-object to a connexion that a batch script
could read at the operating system level without writing a file on
disk... I guess there is no solution and the easiest way, indeed, is to
write a text file and make it read from the shell (which is what the
current fonction does...).

Thanks anyway for your input,

Patrick

uploadEtrex <- function (df, wcom = 4)
{
    dff <- as.data.frame(matrix(NA, nrow = nrow(df), ncol = 9))
    dff[, c(2, 8, 9)] <- df[, c(1, 3, 2)]
    write.table(dff, "dff", col.names = FALSE, sep = "\t", quote = FALSE)
    if (Sys.info()["sysname"] != "Windows") {
        system(paste("gpsbabel -w -i tabsep -f dff -o garmin -F
/dev/ttyUSB0",
            sep = ""))
    }
    else {
        system(paste("gpsbabel -w -i tabsep -f dff -o garmin -F com",
            wcom, ":", sep = ""))
    }
}