[R-sig-Geo] Improve memory in Windows Vista

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Mon Nov 10 21:52:00 CET 2008

Hi,

What platform are you using, 64 bit? What kind of dataset? What kind of
operation do you want to perform on the data? Quite a lot has been said
on memory usage in R on the "normal" R-help list. Googeling for "R-help
memory limit" gives tons of information on memory issues. There is bound
to be something there for you.

cheers,
Paul

Alessandro schreef:
> HI Users,
>

> I must processing a large data set in R and I wish improve my PC memory. I
> have a Windows Vista with 4 Gb di RAM and Intel centrino
>

> In ordinary modality my memory is this
>

>> memory.size(TRUE)
>>

> [1] 13.4375
>

>> memory.size()
>>

> [1] 11.01423
>

> If I use the command line "C:\program files\R\R-2.7.1\bin>Rgui.exe
> --max-mem-size=2048M"
>

>> memory.size(TRUE)
>>

> [1] 13.4375
>

>> memory.size()
>>

> [1] 11.01418
>

>> vegetation <- read.delim("vegetation_2674147_2684147.txt",
>>
> sep=",",header=TRUE)
>

>> coordinates(vegetation) =~X+Y
>>

> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 232.5 Mb
>

> Is there a solution of this limitation?
>

> ale
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Drs. Paul Hiemstra