[R-sig-Geo] help with county map fill type

Michael Denslow mwdenslow at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 15:23:02 CET 2008

Dear List,

I am attempting to generate some county level species distribution maps for a publication. The idea is to show three different categories on one map; one for species A, one for species B and one for a county that has both.
Ideally I think some sort of hatching or pattern would be best. I am afraid that my grey scale example will not show up well in print.
In ?map, it says '... Extra arguments passed to polygon or lines'. However if I use the density or angle arguments, it doesn't work.
I am afraid that I am missing something obvious here, please help.

Thanks
Michael

library(maps)
data(stateMapEnv)

map('county', 'north carolina',
	boundary = TRUE,
	lty = 1)

map('county', region = c('North Carolina,Watauga'),
	fill = TRUE, col = 'grey80', add = TRUE)

map('county', region = c('North Carolina,Avery'),
	fill = TRUE, col = 'grey50', add = TRUE)

map('county', region = c('North Carolina,Ashe'),
	fill = TRUE, col = 'black', add = TRUE)

## try to use density and angle
map('county', region = c('North Carolina,Wilkes'),
	density = 20,angle = 90, col = 'black', add = TRUE)

Michael Denslow

I.W. Carpenter Jr. Herbarium [BOON]
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina U.S.A.

-- AND --

Communications Manager
Southeastern Regional Network of Expertise and Collections
sernec.org