[R-sig-Geo] classIntervals function not finishing

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Tue Nov 4 23:18:49 CET 2008

Hi,

My experience with the fisher method of calculating intervals is that it
becomes very slow if applied to a larger dataset. Your dataset is much
much larger than what I have tried to do with style="fisher". So it is
not strange what you are seeing. You could select a subset of the data
to make the process somewhat faster, but "fisher" takes a lot of time.

cheers,
Paul

Edward Tomlinson schreef:
> Hi List,
>
> I am having trouble with the classIntervals function. Something seems to be
> going wrong as the function is not returning (in 8hr +).
>
> i am trying to call the function as follows
>
> t1 <- classIntervals(map$map.mapset, n=7, style="fisher")
>
> there are about 2.3 million cells in the image.
>
> The cpu goes to 100% cycle and the function never returns.
>
> I have tried the function with other styles "pretty" and "kmeans" and it
> returns fine.
>
> Is there a way i can verbose output from the function to see if i have done
> something wrong?
>
> THanks,
> Ed
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]