[R-sig-Geo] Ordinary and Regression Kriging combined to deal with missing values in predictor variables

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Mon May 26 14:49:57 CEST 2008

Point taken Edzer, I guess calling the gurus is the easy way out when I
have difficulties formulating an answer :). But I will give it a shot.

I oppose mixing RK and OK because:
- There is no sound reason other than a pragmatical one to use OK. If
you know that there are trends in the data it is not logical to not
include them for part of the dataset, particularly if that part is large
in comparison to the total study area (which I assume because if the
area where small you (Eelke) would probably just exclude the area with
no predictor information available).
- The kriging variance for the RK part and the OK part will be different
(depending on the R^2 of the regression, more R^2 means lower kriging
error in RK). So using the kriging variance in any subsequent analysis
is questionable.

I would prefer interpolating the predictors. This ensures that you can
use RK on the whole study area. A problem is that if you estimate the
predictors through interpolation you introduce an additional error in
the parts of the predictor map that are estimated. Consequently, any RK
based on this estimated predictor will not yield good estimates of the
kriging prediction variance.

So both approaches have their drawback, but I would prefer interpolating
the predictor.

Eelke, if you don't have predictor values for all locations you could
try co-kriging.

hth and cheers,
Paul

Drs. Paul Hiemstra