[R-sig-Geo] Dear Friends,

Michael Sumner mdsumner at utas.edu.au
Sun May 25 02:47:26 CEST 2008

Apparently it's common for extra bytes to be added by Fortran "raw
binary" writers. I don't know exactly, but I had to figure this out by
trial and error for some binary versions of the Reynolds SST products -
that had precise descriptions of the file arrangement that doesn't
include the extra bytes. Some colleagues with more experience confirmed
that there were some strange additional bytes to be expected from Fortran.

ftp://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/sea_surface_temperature/reynolds/oisst/software/v2/README.v2
When reading from these files you can see the bytes that I ignore as
"junk", the rest of the data in there is tidy and predictable:

    if (length(grep(".gz", fl)) == 1)
      con <- gzfile(file.path(dir, fl), "rb") else    con <-
file(file.path(dir, fl), "rb")

    head <- readBin(con, "integer", size = 4, n = 11, endian = "big",
signed = FALSE)
    temps <- readBin(con, "numeric", size = 4, n = 180 * 360,endian = "big")
    junk <- readBin(con, "integer", size = 4, endian = "big", n = 2)

    err <- readBin(con, "numeric", size = 4, n = 180 * 360, endian = "big")
    junk <- readBin(con, "integer", size = 4, endian = "big", n = 2)
    ice <- readBin(con, "integer", size = 1, n = 180 * 360, endian =
"big",signed = FALSE)

    close(con)

HTH
Cheers, Mike.