[R-sig-Geo] Try to write GeoTiff with rgdal

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat May 24 11:02:04 CEST 2008

On Fri, 23 May 2008, Agustin Lobo wrote:

> Many programs are not able to display tiff files with more
> than 3 bands. Test with qgis 0.10 or globalmapper. Or with matlab

Any other program using GDAL (like QGIS) will read files written by GDAL.
ArcGIS is an exception, as it predictably does the wrong thing. My
experience is that you have to read GeoTiff through the toolbox raster
calculate statistics module, because ArcGIS guesses wrong about how the
data are configured, and often ignores valid NA cells (hence the odd
values). A three-band will typically be interpreted by ArcGIS as an RGB
image. Doing it a band at a time, and going in through the toolbox (think
Python script) is feasible. On the other hand, non-GDAL ENVI handles
GDAL-written multiband GeoTiffs without any trouble that I've seen.

Welcome to the world of "interoperability"!

Roger