[R-sig-Geo] error message when running errorsarlm

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu May 22 20:08:10 CEST 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008, evans324 at umn.edu wrote:

>> >  I apologize for being unclear. I actually upgraded R and updated
>> >  packages, then ran errorsarlm with method="Matrix" and got the same
>> >  error messages I'd had previously (i.e., the search led to the boundary
>> >  of the interval). I then tried your other suggestion and used
>> >  method="spam" and got a result with no error messages.
>>
>> But we do not know why the two are not the same (they should be), so I
>> would still not trust the outcome. I would be interested in off-list access
>> to the data being used - I think that there is some issue with the scaling
>> of the variable values. Do you see the same difference using spautolm(),
>> which is effectively the same as errorsarlm(), but with a different
>> internal structure?
>
> I do see the same difference using spautolm() and get no error messages using
> it. I'll send you then data separately and would appreciate your opinion on
> them.

Heather:

OK, thanks. On first inspection, the choice of a distance criterion for
neighbours seems to be part of the problem. Using:

nb_k5 <- knn2nb(knearneigh(coordinates(rd), k=5))
nb_k5s <- make.sym.nb(nb_k5)

where rd is the SpatialPointsDataFrame object, with many fewer neighbours
than your 2500m or 3000m criteria, gives results from "Matrix" and "spam"
that are identical, and most likely what you are after. These weights are
the 5 nearest neighbours coerced to symmetric, so all ahave 5 neighbours
and the largest number of neighbours is 12 (your 2500m criterion had a
mean number of neighbours of 280, maximum 804). If you can live without
your choice of neighbours (which in some settings may be getting pretty
close to your market segment dummies), I'd advise using something much
sparser (but symmetric). The sparser weights matrices also increase the
speed dramatically.

If you look at the bottom of ?bptest.sarlm, you'll see a cheap and totally
untested way of adjusting the output SEs, but please don't believe what it
does, because it is treating the lambda value as known, not estimated. A
guess at the remaining heterogeneity would be age by maintenance
interaction, older houses will vary in value by maintenance, probably also
by neighbourhood?

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no