[R-sig-Geo] How to subset a spatial grid?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue May 20 15:49:45 CEST 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Edzer Pebesma wrote:

> Yong, I would have loved to see your R shaking.

Unless you do seismology, of course?

> This argument has been heard more often here. When processing massive grids,
> please have a look at the function getRasterData in package rgdal. It allows
> you to _read_ only portions of a grid.

This is the best current way to do things certainly, especially when many
bands/variables are involved. What I'm wondering is whether a class could
be written with an SQLiteDF sqlite.data.frame in the data slot? There is a
talk at useR! on a proposed SQLiteMap, but for vector data, and which
appears to miss sp classes, so I don't think that it is relevant.