[R-sig-Geo] variogram using gstat

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu May 8 08:10:48 CEST 2008

 From the gslib book, I understand that there is a lag, and a lag
tolerance, and a cutoff. lag 0 is 0, the lag 1 is <0,tol], lag 2
<lag2-tol,lag2+tol>, lag3 <lag3-tol,lag3+tol>, etc. This allows for
overlap in the lags, if tolerance is larger than half the difference
between lags.

gstat uses regular lag (the first one is not shorter than the latter):
lag1 = [0,width>
lag2 = [width,2*width>
lag3 = [2*width,3*width>
up to the cutoff. So, there's no possibility of overlapping lags, and a
different organization of them.

tol_hor is the horizontal direction tolarance, and has nothing to do
with width and cutoff.

note that gstat does not have a bandwidth concept, so for comparison
purposes you should set this to a very large value.
--
Edzer