[R-sig-Geo] variogram using gstat

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Wed May 7 16:36:24 CEST 2008

Hi Edzer,

Well, I wrote similar because I don't now the details by heart.
Furthermore the we analysed the same data independently in R/gstat and
variowin/gslib. The emphasis of our comparisons was rather on what was
the most userfriendly workflow. So the question was not realy if gslib
yields exactly the same results as gstat. But rather if R/gstat is
usefull to teach geostatistics when compared to variowin/gslib. Given
that most of the students use R (or S+) in other courses, we think that
using R/gstat is easier for the students.

I don't know whether the professor will change from variowin/gslib to
R/gstat. We were probabily just a bunch of R-addicted students who
perferred their own toys ;-)

Cheers,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey