[R-sig-Geo] about Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R book

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon May 5 11:00:31 CEST 2008

On Mon, 5 May 2008, G. Allegri wrote:

> A question to Dr. Roger Bivand:
> I'm about to order you book "Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R", but I
> would like to have a look to the table of contents. It's not available on
> the Springer page, could it be shared on the ml?

The short table of contents is on the Springer site, but (I believe)
because production is taking place now, there is no PDF with chapter
sections and pagination, yet.

> Does the book cover some teoretical foundaments about the arguments treated,
> or it's just a hands-on manual?

This is explained under "About this book" - which says that the second
part of the is intended to show how selected methods can be used in R, but
is not a complete theoretical treatment. We provide systematic references
to Cressie and Schabenberger & Gotway for Spatial Stats courses, and to
Fortin & Dale for ecologists, and Waller & Gotway for public health
people, plus a few more. It isn't a theory book, but we feel that it is
more than a manual. Note that it does not recommend methods, but suggests
that the reader should have the tools to explore and choose appropriate
methods based on their better knowledge of the real research problem.

We are not sure whether we should mention this (self-advertising is not
pleasant), but because it applies to all the books about using R now being
published, and listed on:

http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.html

we would draw attention to the discount info links by most titles, showing
how to get (usually) 20% discounts. Other retailers may offer better
discounts.

Roger