[R-sig-Geo] Scale Bar

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri May 2 11:29:37 CEST 2008

On Thu, 1 May 2008, PUJAN RAJ REGMI wrote:

> Dear,

> I followed the instruction given by Roger. But i got the following error
> message; coordinates(A) <- c("x", "y")> gridded(A) <- TRUE>
> greenchannel<-matrix(A[,3],nrow=155,ncol=191,byrow=TRUE)Error in
> as.vector(x, mode) : cannot coerce to
> vectorredchannel<-matrix(A[,4],nrow=155,ncol=191,byrow=TRUE)Error in
> as.vector(x, mode) : cannot coerce to vector>
> nearinfraredchannel<-matrix(A[,5],nrow=155,ncol=191,byrow=TRUE)Error in
> `[.data.frame`(x at data, i, j, ..., drop = FALSE) :  undefined columns
> selected>
> midinfraredchannel<-matrix(A[,6],nrow=155,ncol=191,byrow=TRUE)Error in
> `[.data.frame`(x at data, i, j, ..., drop = FALSE) :  undefined columns
> selectedThe image plot was black background with x and y axis values.

You are not reading what is being sent to you carefully enough, but at
least this is a fresh thread, so some progress. Above, you have mixed up
my answer with your own attempt to use rimage classes and functions. If
you have spatial data, use spatial classes and functions, which permit
integration with other spatial data.

Using the data you sent me offline (but *.rar compressed, please use gzip
or zip, rar is not portable), I have:

A <- read.table("test.txt", skip=8, header=FALSE)
names(A) <- c("x", "y", "greenchannel", "redchannel",
   "nearinfraredchannel", "midinfraredchannel")
coordinates(A) <- c("x", "y")
gridded(A) <- TRUE

I note that you have not given the projection of your data (UTM?), so
registering this data with other data (stream channel patterns?) is not
made any easier.

A$red <- as.double(A$nearinfraredchannel)
A$green <- as.double(A$redchannel)
A$blue <- as.double(A$greenchannel)
summary(A)

The values appear to be in the 0-255 range, but do not go much beyond
halfway - do they need stretching? Muliplying the values by 1.79 -
1/(max(c(A$red, A$green, A$blue))/255) rounded down a touch - gave a more
pleasing image, but I don't know the origins of your data.

image(A, red="red", green="green", blue="blue", axes=TRUE)

which shows the majority of your study area as 0 coded black, and the
remainder is not very differentiated. It ought to be possible to code
these 0 values as NA, but currently the underlying method in sp does not
handle NAs gracefully for rgb input - this will be improved in the next
release. So, we recode 0 as 255 to get white:

A$red <- ifelse(A$red < 1, 255, A$red)
A$green <- ifelse(A$green < 1, 255, A$green)
A$blue <- ifelse(A$blue < 1, 255, A$blue)
image(A, red="red", green="green", blue="blue", axes=TRUE)

So now to your scale bar:

SpatialPolygonsRescale(layout.scale.bar(), offset = c(566500, 5698000),
  scale = 500, fill=c("transparent","black"), plot.grid=FALSE)
text(566500, 5698075, "0", cex=0.7)
text(567000, 5698075, "500 m", cex=0.7)

You can complete the north arrow in the same way using examples on the
help page for spplot, if you really want one.

Finally, as a geographer, I would point out that the scale bar and north
arrow are not needed when the axes show the scale and the direction of
north. Anyone who tells you that they have to be there (your supervisor?),
should read up on analytical graphics - extra details distract attention
from what the data are saying. Probably using grid() is less intrusive,
and gives good placing control across the whole graphic. When was the last
time anyone actually used a map scale bar to read off distances from a
map?

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no